|English-Cut Beef Pot Roast|
Also see: Standing Rib Roast Recipe
4 pound English-cut beef pot roast
4 tablespoons of prepared horseradish
1 large cooking onion, peeled, halved and cut into thick half-moon slices keeping the slices intact
freshly ground black pepper
carrots, trimmed, preferably unpeeled, enough for 8
small potatoes, enough for 8
2 cups of beef broth
4 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
fresh thyme leaves pulled off a few sprigs
Louisiana-style hot red pepper sauce
1. Brush the bottom of a 5 to 6 quart Dutch oven with a thin layer of cooking oil.
2. Place the beef in the center. Spread the horseradish on top. Arrange the onion slices over the horseradish. Season generously with freshly ground black pepper. Cover with a tight fitting lid. Place centered in the oven. Set the heat for 350 degrees and roast for 2 hours.
3. Scatter the carrots and potatoes around the roast. Cover and return to the oven for 1 hour more or until the meat is tender. Avoid over roasting the beef.
4. Remove the meat and vegetables to a warm platter. Remove the wooden skewers. Cover the roast loosely with foil.
5. In a spouted container, whisk the broth and flour until the flour is dissolved. Strain if desired. Set aside.
6. Very carefully, pour the hot pan drippings in the Dutch oven into a heat-safe container. Place the Dutch oven on the cook top over a medium heat.
7. Add the thyme and the broth and flour mixture. Stir and scrape to lift and incorporate the caramelized bits. Continue to stir until the liquid thickens into a gravy. Skim the fat off of the reserved pan drippings and add to the gravy. Season to taste with salt and hot pepper sauce.
8. Serve the gravy with the beef and vegetables.