|Good Food Michigan Latvian Honey Cakes|
shortening and flour for greasing the muffin tin
1 large whole egg
1 large egg yolk
1/2 cup of sugar
1 tablespoon of molasses
1/2 cup of canola blend oil
1/2 cup of honey
1/2 cup of sour cream
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
3/4 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
1-1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
10 walnut halves
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 10 cups of a muffin tin with shortening. Dust the cups one at a time with flour. Shake out excess flour. Set aside.
2. In a mixing bowl, blend the eggs, sugar and molasses.
3. Stir in the oil.
4. Stir in the honey.
5. Stir in the sour cream.
6. Stir in the baking powder, baking soda, spice, and vanilla.
7. Add the flour and stir until the batter is smooth.
8. Drop the batter into the prepared muffin cups filling each about 2/3 full. I use a 1/4 cup ice cream scoop.
9. Lay a walnut half on top of each.
10. Bake for 20 minutes or until baked through.
11. Cool briefly in the pan before removing to a wire rack to continue cooling.